Application for the 2018-2019 School Year
You can complete your application by creating an account at Schoolmint or on a smartphone, by downloading the SchoolMint app for Android here or for iPhones here. Please make sure that you complete the 2018-19 application for next school year. You can still apply for this school year, by completing the 2017-18 application. We strongly suggest that you choose to receive both text and email notifications as your contact preference. This will ensure you receive detailed messages regarding the application process.
Application deadline is January 31, 2018 at midnight. Applications received after midnight on January 31st will be added to the post-lottery waiting list in the order they were received.
Please note that you will need proof of age (examples include: immunization records from a doctor, a birth certificate(preferred), OR a passport) and a current proof of residency (examples include: a mortgage statement, rent or lease agreement, official assistance document, OR utility bill) to complete our application. In the online application, these documents can be submitted by scanning, uploading, or a photo from a smartphone. No print/hard copy applications will be accepted for the 2018-2019 school year — all applications must be submitted electronically to be considered for the lottery and enrollment.
If you do not have access to the internet, ECS provides laptops at both the Upper School and Lower School main offices for parents/guardians to submit an application for enrollment. To schedule a time to complete your application on one of our computers, if you need additional help, or if you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact our Enrollment Coordinator, Christine Adams at email@example.com, or 412-247-7970 ext. 301.
Some key features to our enrollment and lottery are:
- ECS modified its lottery policy to provide enrollment preference to students situated in poverty in the city of Pittsburgh. A student identified with a “free or reduced lunch” designation on his/her application will receive a “weight” in the lottery. This means that student will be entered twice in lottery.
- ECS provides Pittsburgh residents preference in the lottery. Student applicants residing within the Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) will receive preference to students residing outside of PPS.
- ECS provides sibling preference in the lottery. Student applicants with an already enrolled sibling will automatically receive a positive space in the grade they are seeking to enroll if a space is available. Sibling preference will not apply to students on the waitlist.
Review our updated Lottery and Enrollment policy here.
ECS receives more applications for admission each year than available spots. Therefore, ECS conducts a lottery to provide equal access to admission.
The enrollment lottery for the 2017-2018 school year will take place on Tuesday, February 20, 2018. On the lottery date, one of the following scenarios will occur:
- If student applications do not exceed the number of available seats in a grade, all applicants will be given a space in the grade, or
- If student applications exceed the number of available seats in a grade, a lottery will be conducted for that grade. Any students not receiving a space will be placed on the waiting list in the order their names are drawn.
Families are invited to attend the lottery. All families, regardless of attendance at the lottery, will receive notification of their student’s lottery results within one week. You can check your lottery results and keep up-to-date on your place on the waiting list by logging into your SchooolMint account here. Attendance at the lottery is not required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Navigating school choice and the application process in Pittsburgh can be tricky. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions list to better understand how to apply, how the lottery works, and other questions.
Enrollment Coordinator, Christine Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 412-247-7970 ext. 301.