How to help
You MUST have FBI, State Child Abuse, and Criminal Clearances before Volunteering! Let us know what skills and interests you are willing to share with the school. Volunteering your time in the PCO is an inexpensive way to meet the needs of our school, make an effective contribution to your child’s school experience, and show your child that you value their interests. Please fill out a Volunteer Form and let us know how you can help us.
How and Why To Get Clearances
PA State Law requires school volunteers to have the following clearances:
- PA Child Abuse Clearance — NO FEE for volunteers; can be completed online
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check — NO FEE for volunteers; can be completed online
- Federal Criminal Background Check (OR a signed PA Resident Form and Waiver RequestIF a PA Resident for at least 10 consecutive years) — $27.50 for electronic fingerprint submission; NO FEE FOR WAIVER
More info about required clearances is available from the PA Department of Human Services.
- Must be no more than 1 year old when first provided to the school.
- Must be updated every 36 months.
- Should be turned in to the school office.
Most volunteer tasks do require volunteers to have clearances on file, including:
- chaperoning field trips
- working with a small group of students or with an individual student
- driving a team/group to an activity
- chaperoning a student-only event
- helping in a classroom
- any task in which you are working directly with students
You do NOT need clearances on file for:
- attending a classroom presentation or party
- attending a school-sponsored event
- any task that does not involve working directly with students
If you have specific questions about your clearances, contact the school office at 412-247-7970.